Hi, this is my first post and I am looking forward to the learning throughout this course.
- My favourite vacation spot is California… it is a beautiful state and offers so much variety, in its scenery and activities. In particular, I enjoy San Francisco and the central coast regions of Monterey, Carmel & Big Sur.
- I don’t tend to read too many novels, but do enjoy business related books, autobiographies and biographies where one can learn from others. The most recent book I read was “The Spark: A Mother’s Story of Nurturing Genius” by Kristine Barnett. It is a true story and memoir of a mother’s devotion and dedication to helping her autistic son reach his full potential. I found it extremely inspiring and educational… a great example of what is possible if we do not put glass ceilings on ourselves and others in society.
- Personally, I feel the most important characteristic of high quality online learning environments is creating an environment where interaction and enriching “conversation” is encouraged among students and between instructor and students. At the same time, keeping the subject interesting and relevant to “real world” situations, not just textbook orientated.
- My past experiences have been in face-to-face training situations, although I have experienced online facilitation as a student. Based on personal experiences and observations, I feel it is important that if one does not know an answer (or is unsure), it is best to say you will find it out and get back to them. It is important for openness and transparency, and at the same time, students can appreciate that learning is an ongoing process for all concerned.
A few questions:
- How to increase participation and interaction among participants?
- How to adapt your teaching style to cater for different personalities and learning styles?
- Any recommendations or things to be aware of, when teaching different nationalities or cultures?
- Lessons learned from experienced online facilitators and whether there are workshops or forums within Kamloops where new and experienced online facilitators can learn from each other?